Sunday 18 July 2010

10 mile track run + energy bar recipe

With just 2 weeks to go now until the thunder run I'm cutting back on the mileage and getting in some quicker sessions before a final week of rest.
This morning I was in two minds... The choice was either to go for a run in Stockgrove country park which is always lovely first thing in the morning, but inevitably slower, or hit the local track which isn't pretty but you get a good workout. I went with the latter and managed 40 laps (10 miles) in 1h11. avg pace was 7:07 m/m which I was pleased with.

Back from the run I turned my attention to making some home made energy bars to see me through the Thunder Run. I've been searching online for the ideal recipe and found a great one here . I adapted it slightly also adding chia seeds, which the tarahumara ('the running people') in Mexico have been running ultras on for centuries.

Ingredients:
3 1/2 ounce butter
4 tablespoons golden syrup
2 bananas
5 ounces porridge oats
3 1/2 ounce dried apricots
6 tablespoons seed mix (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, linseed)
2 tablespoons of chia seeds

Directions:
- Warm the butter and syrup in saucepan over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until melted
- Remove from heat and add cut up bananas and mix well
- Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly
- Spoon the mixture into a tin and level the surface
- Bake in the oven (200c) for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.

It is absolutely delicious even if I do say so myself!! So if you are a budding chef (or even if you're not) why not give it ago and you will never hit the wall in an ultra again! :-D

5 comments:

  1. Hey Stuart,

    Great recipe! I am borrowing this for the Grimsthorpe 70 ultra on friday this week although don't know where I will get chia seeds this late in the day, can always skip or substitute. Will grab the rest of my supplies monday / tuesday (will be doing blog report before friday with complete lists and thoughts on strategy)

    Will be staying up in Grantham the night before in travelodge but am getting nervous as I haven't run in 17 days due to foot problem that meant I haven't been able to run at all (badly bruised first metatarsal).

    Biggest concern was the weather but the long range weather forecast is looking positive with scattered showers and 18C which is better than the earlier part of the week.

    Despite all of this I cannot wait to get out there. This is the furthest I have ever attempted and whatever happens I am going to finish even if my foot flares up.

    The battle with the beast is as always within the mind and I intend to tame it one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the chia seeds from here - http://www.vivapure.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=24_33&products_id=64 they arrived 2 days later. Not too cheap but I'm convinced they do the trick! I'm also making an energy gel with them too. all you do is add water and they 'gel up' 10 mins later. got the consistency of frog spawn! got luck Richard. you won half the battle already my telling yourself you will finish... as we know its mostly a mental battle especially after 50+ miles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Mate.

    Cannot wait for Grimsthorpe. Good luck for the ThunderRun. Looks like it could be one for the future as it's proven popular.

    Will post a report when physically able :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Stu, Hope you are not going to crazy whilst tapering for the TR24hr run.

    I had an unbelievable time at Grimsthorpe 70 miler over the weekend. Full report is done and dusted on my blog now and am resting up and enjoying not running at all.

    Great race, location and runners taking part so would definitely recommend it.

    Good luck mate for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers Richard. Just noticed you've been sending tweets. sorry mate but i'm useless on that site. don't even know how to send msgs!

    ReplyDelete