With just 2 weeks to go now until the thunder run I'm cutting back on the mileage and getting in some quicker sessions before a final week of rest.
This morning I was in two minds... The choice was either to go for a run in Stockgrove country park which is always lovely first thing in the morning, but inevitably slower, or hit the local track which isn't pretty but you get a good workout. I went with the latter and managed 40 laps (10 miles) in 1h11. avg pace was 7:07 m/m which I was pleased with.
Back from the run I turned my attention to making some home made energy bars to see me through the Thunder Run. I've been searching online for the ideal recipe and found a great one here . I adapted it slightly also adding chia seeds, which the tarahumara ('the running people') in Mexico have been running ultras on for centuries.
3 1/2 ounce butter
4 tablespoons golden syrup
5 ounces porridge oats
3 1/2 ounce dried apricots
6 tablespoons seed mix (pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, hemp seeds, linseed)
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- Warm the butter and syrup in saucepan over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until melted
- Remove from heat and add cut up bananas and mix well
- Add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly
- Spoon the mixture into a tin and level the surface
- Bake in the oven (200c) for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
It is absolutely delicious even if I do say so myself!! So if you are a budding chef (or even if you're not) why not give it ago and you will never hit the wall in an ultra again! :-D