Wednesday 14 May 2014

MK marathon race report

> A slightly late MK marathon race report but I wanted to get this one down on paper (screen) for historical accuracy as I was something of a surprise run for me.
>
> Rewind to January and I was determined to train for this marathon like I'd never trained before. It started well with my challenge to run every day in January and I logged a few miles and 2-3 twenty miler. But it didn't last and I just wasn't feeling the love or motivation for marathon training.
>
> The days were starting to get a bit longer in February so I turned my attention back to my ElliptiGO. This become my new focus and I cranked out the NO-IMPACT miles.
>
> In March I continued to ElliptiGO riding between 150-200 miles per week. I was getting fit but not through doing any running. In fact running was something I seldom did much preferring the thrill on the GO.
>
> In April I tested the ElliptiGO training effect taking on the South Downs Way 50 miler. A great run and finishing in 8 hours. This was on virtually no run training whatsoever. Post SDW50 and pre MK marathon I had no reason to change what I was doing. More ElliptiGO miles with my now common place 45 miles to work in the morning (1-2 times a week).
>
> I stood on the MK marathon start line having run only a handful of times in the preceding two months. I felt great but had no idea really of what pace I should run the race at. So my strategy was to start at 3hr pace and then very quickly assess the situation. It was a super day for marathon running weather wise. Race on!
>
> After mile 1 it was plainly obvious that I wasn't going to be keeping up with the pacemaker and his blue balloon bobbing up and down as he strided away. But I also wasn't too far off the pace. So after a 6:53 first mile I slowed it down to 7s (which would bring me in at 3:04 and under the London Marathon qualifying time. This felt more comfortable for a while. But after 6-7 miles I knew that this too wasn't sustainable over the full distance. At this point I stopped concentrating on the watch so much and just ran as I felt. I got into a nice stride and averaged 7:10 for the first half of the marathon.
>
> I hit half way in 1:34 and my goal now was to hold onto this pace and try and get in under 3:10. This was a tough ask as I wasn't exactly hanging about. I fell into line with a small group of runners who having asked them if they were targetting a similar finish time (they were) I stuck with them. This made the miles tick by and I was really enjoying myself despite the huge effort to maintain the pace.
>
> But maintain the pace I did and despite a hilly/undulating course I was still feeling strong in the second half and now overtaking many who perhaps set off a little too fast. 164 position at half way I finished in 96 position in a time of 3.11 inside the MK Dons stadium to my wife, children and mum looking on.
>
> I couldn't believe I'd pulled off this time on so little run training. And I'm really started to see much huge an impact the ElliptiGO is having on my life and training.
>
> Great times!!!!
>
> Big shout out to my Dad who also finished this tough marathon course in a little over 5 hours. Dad's capable of faster but cramps at 16 miles put pay to a 4:30 target time. I'm mighty proud!!!
>
> Massive
>
>
> Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment